It's that time of year...
Anyone else feeling just, um, a little 'financially stretched' after the summer holidays!?
Soooo, here is our Parents Guide Illawarra fabbo guide of free, cost effective and fab things to do across the Illawarra with the kids and family which come in under a tenner per child (worst case scenario! But we have popped in plenty of FREE things too!)
Firstly - get yourself subscribed to the Parents Guide weekly e-newsletter - as with us being the ultimate guide to family living in the Illawarra, it's packed full of inspo every week of What's On - subscribe here (and when you subscribe, we even send you a free Kids Journal with our 10 Awesome Free Things to do Across the Illawarra, sweet as!)
So with that formality out of the way, here we go:
- Take a drive to the Seacliff Bridge and take a relaxed amble and try to spot some dolphins (or whales between June-Nov).
- Try a family bike ride (or walk) down the coastal bike path. Pack your swimmers and try the pools at Thirroul, Bulli, Woonona, Bellambi, Towradgi
or North Wollongong. Or if you are Southern Illawarra based, Lake Illawarra has beautiful paths along the lake).
- Other people's kids are actually free entertainment for your's! Arrange playdates, and even better, give yourself some time off during their playdates
and spend that $10 on a peaceful, uninterrupted coffee and cake!
- What kid doesn't LOVE public transport!? Cheap thrills! Jump on the bus or train and take an adventure to somewhere new! Kiama, Wollongong, Thirroul,
Stanwell Park are all great options...
- Oh we love this one for skint shopaholics - find your local charity / op shop and take a trip! Set a small budget each and see what you can find each
other, clothes toys, shoes, books galore! Have some sustainable, glorious bargain hunting shopping fun - best to teach that to the little ones early
- Pack up the kids' dinner, grab a picnic blanky and find somewhere lovely to dine alfresco - why not pack yourself a cheeky vino or beer for a sundowner!?
- BAKE OFF! Get messy and have some fun baking cookies, cakes, fritters, or the family fave meal together. Kids generally love getting involved with food
creation and then you can invite nice neighbours or close family or friends round for a taste off!
- ICE CREAM GELATO with a view - Gelato Emporium in Bulli Tops - with that sublime view - oh yeah! Just use this outing wisely - ensure your kids 'earn'
their ice cream by tidying a room, cleaning the car, being nice to a sibling, etc beforehand!
- Find a bushwalk suitable for your family - click here for our Best Family-Friendly Illawarra Bushwalks Guide
- Set an alarm and go find a beach to watch the sunrise as a family - or make it a special outing with just one child. Treat yourself to a coffee or smoothie
on the way home...
- Make the most of our FREE ocean side pools! Our faves are Coalcliff, Thirroul, Woonona, Port Kembla...
- Take the family bowling! One of the best budget-friendly activities you can do - and during the School Holidays especially, Shellharbour Tenpin Bowling regularly runs lunch specials for as little as $5 and 1 game of bowling starts from just $10 - click here for further information!
For more inspo - click on our Fun Place to take the Kids section! Please like and share if this has been helpful! :)
Love from the Parents Guide Illawarra team - a local mum's mission to share the awesomeness that is the Illawarra! xx